Monday, February 28, 2011

Text Aversion

I think I've figured it out and it's no one's fault but my own.

I have an aversion to texting because I am awful at small talk. I prefer phone or face to face conversation because I lack the ability to shoot the breeze with no purpose at all to the conversation.

Does that make me a snob? I think it does. And I'm the worst kind of snob because I don't THINK I'm a snob at all!

See, I really am genuinely interested in what people have to say, seriously! I fancy myself as a good listener, I like to hear what make people tick, why they are the way they are, everyone's got a story, right? However as of late I've been observing the way I get when the conversation has no real meaning or purpose for me or if the topic doesn't interest me in the least. Or maybe someone continues to make the same glaringly obvious bad choices in their personal lives.

I am a snob *sigh*.

It drives me nuts when I am having a lovely chat with someone and their smart phone is sitting right on the table and is going off because someone is texting them while they are talking to me. I expect to be the centre of attention, at least while we're talking. That could be viewed as pretty self-absorbed.

Or perhaps it isn't so self-involved but aware of my own self-worth. Aware that chatting with me is something to be enjoyed without distractions and visa versa. Maybe it's about respect.

There are things I want to shout to the rooftops about sometimes! Occasionally I have someone to rant to but mostly, it just swims around in my head. When I have a captive audience, I want to get it all out!

But I am not good at small talk. I know this about myself. Please understand if I don't reply right away to your text about stating the obvious like "It's wet outside today!"...

I am a texting snob.

No comments:

Post a Comment