Monday, February 14, 2011

V-day and Romance in a Tech World

It's Valentine's Day and while most people would agree, it is an occasion created by retail, it does put some pressure on couples to come up with some semblance of a romantic atmosphere.

And guys like this one, who proposed to his girlfriend at a movie theatre where he had designed a "trailer" of their courtship using Muppets and invited all their friends and family to be in the audience... as the proposal is at the end... oh and she said "yes" by the way... are gushed over by scads of women for their well-thought out plan...

Here's the video trailer he created

I think that there's nothing wrong with romance and having a day to remind us in our busy lives to slow down and appreciate the people in them, mostly for those who have been together for many years.

I didn't always think this way.

I think the trouble arises when we put, and perceive, unrealistic expectations. I have to lump myself into this category, as I was one of these people in the past...

I have never made it a secret that I prefer face to face conversations and if not that, voice to voice... but sometimes that's not possible.

Some people are romantic and some people are not. Some people are fantastic with expressing their emotions, some people find it difficult. Some people can write a love note like nobody's business. Some prefer to belt it out in a song or a dance. Sometimes a funny video from http://www.youtube.com/ or a sappy quote found on a website, expresses one's feelings better than they can.

On a day like today, where romance is an expectation, what exactly is it that you expect?

I think for the most part, I'm not going to make friends by saying this, but for the most part, we women put  fantasy-like expectations on men that have not in any way, shape or form, displayed in the past that they are really that romantically-inclined. And furthermore, if you have some dream-like ideal of what you THINK you may be showered with and it doesn't come to fruition, you can't blame the poor sod, you can only blame yourself.

Appreciation is the key.

So maybe just a simple text of undying love or playful flirtation may be all the fella can muster at this point in the relationship. Maybe that would be the end for some or a wonderful beginning for others.

Maybe some guys don't even bother because the pressure to do something you'll love is too much to bare.

You can't change anyone, but you can change how you perceive them.

I can only say that once you stop putting expectations on people and accept them for the truly unique beings that they are, that's when real love rushes in.

And that's nothing you can create with technology or otherwise.

It just happens.

Happy Valentines Day!

3 comments:

  1. Keep on writing, great job!

    My blog electric toothbrush

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this site from my pal who told me on the topic of this site and now this time I am visiting this web
    site and reading very informative articles or reviews at this time.


    My homepage Quitter.Se

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group?
    There's a lot of folks that I think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know. Thank you

    Feel free to visit my page :: www.zahnie.de

    ReplyDelete