Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Demon Diallers

I know those things don't exist anymore but telemarketers still have the technology to call you up, at least they call me up, and some recorded message comes on asking you to support a candidate or buy some "free" vacation!

But today I was pretty stunned to answer an "unknown" but local call that turned out to be the Millionaire Lottery reminding me that I only have hours left to purchase my Early Bird ticket!

WTF?

Granted, I did not add my name to the federal Do Not Call List as I didn't want my name to be on yet another "list" the government can gain information on me with, but come ON?! Has this become the norm?

I felt like I'd been hornswaggled (not sure if the spellchecker even recognizes that word) Typically if I don't recognize the number I don't pick up. Plain and simple. I was snaffued today!!!

I have to admit, I have been very disillusioned by charities in the past. Having worked a few radio "telethons" in my day, my heart sank when the "wall of volunteers" that used to answer the phones for the pledges, was contracted out to an "800" line in India. Yep, it really make me sick, it lost something for me.

I know it's become big business to compete for those charity dollars but seriously, shouldn't there still be some personal involvement?

I probably would have purchased a lottery ticket if someone at the other end of the phone had a personal story or was kind enough to explain where the money goes. I'm old school like that. I was probably born too late.

I know it's tough for some of you to solicit friends and family just for fundraising and your children's school. Some people have a knack for it and some don't.

For me I guess the compassion is lost. They just want my money. There's not even an opportunity to feel empathetic.

So while I'm sure the Millionaire Lottery needs my support, I'm not sure I share the same "connection" about what they do now. I've heard the stories, met the staff, the families, heard them share their extreme lows and joyous highs.

This year, it doesn't wash. I hope I don't feel this way forever or about many other charities, but today, I am disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment